Monday, March 17, 2008

Ilustration from the Incredibles

So I'm sure you've probably seen the movie The Incredibles. Well there is a scene in the movie that kinda depicts how I felt in the past couple of months. The scene is where the family is coming back to the city but they are flying in a van attached to a rocket by the mom. Well as soon as they let go of the rocket and are about to land they floor it and land going extrememly fast. Everything is flying by and they are trying to make the right decision as to where they should turn so they are at the battle.

That is sort of how I felt. I came here fresh from orientation, foot flat on the gas, ready to go. Then I get here and it's crazy. I'm trying to figure out what to do, where to fit myself, how to minister, and all the while life is whizing by me. I think I have come to a point where I am able to have some sort of ground to walk on now. It is a daily battle to come before Jesus empty and say this is all I have, use me for your glory, but God is faithful and he does just that.

I have begun to really connect with several of the students and have found that they like it when I'm in my office and they can come and sit and chat with me. I am discovering how to encourage them and am becoming more comfortable with leading. It is still a struggle to find the balance between leading them and not doing it for them but I have one step at a time. And again...God is oh so faithful, taking me through my times of self-doubt and loneliness to give me joy in him.

I have begun to do a personal study through John Piper's Desiring God. I have heard great things about this book and read many excerpt but never actually read it. Well in the preface there is this quote that really encouraged me when I read it. It states, "When delighting in God is the work of our lives...there will be an inner strength for ministries of love to the very end."

No comments: